Helen Smeja

Certified Instructor

I began practicing and studying Yang Family style Taijiquan in 2001, with Sifu Sergio Arione in Montreal. I have attended Master Yang Jun’s seminars in Montreal regularly since 2004 and have attended his seminars in New Jersey since 2007.

I have also been fortunate to participate in the Yang Family trips to China in 2005 and 2007 and have attended the Grand Masters’ International Symposium in Thunder Bay in 2006 and in Nashville in 2009.

I have been a member of the Roxboro Community Centre’s Taijiquan competition team since 2006 and have since had the opportunity and privilege to participate in several tournaments and demonstrations as an individual and as part of a team.

Through diligent practice and study and with the invaluable support and teaching of the instructors and senior members of the Centre as well from several members of the “extended Tai Chi family” of the Yang Family Association, I attained the rank of Copper Tiger in November 2010.

When I am not practicing Taijiquan in Montreal, I can often be found in Northern Quebec, where I practice family medicine in one of the First Nations communities.

As a Certified Instructor, I would like to share with others my love of Taijiquan and more particularly the many health benefits offered by the practice of this art.

Email: helensmeja@yangfamilytaichi.com