grasp bird's tail

grasp bird's tail

Postby jack » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:24 pm

hello every one. During grasp birds tail practice, we generally put one leg at front and second to the behind. How should we keep the 'leg behind'? i.e. straight or slightly bent from the knee?
jack

Re: grasp bird's tail

Postby Subitai » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Hi,
I can't speak for all families but most Tai chi styles would never make a front bow stance (Or any Stance for that matter) with a leg that is completely locked out straight.

The concept I learned was 5 bows of the body. So the four limbs + the body itself has the characteristic energy of a bow or some might say Peng. Even a leg that can look seemingly straight will always have a certain bend to it. My brothers and I would always joke and say, "A straight Curve"

When you make your stance most schools will do some sort of structure test. You can extrapolate from there as to the how, when and why.

But for sure NO, the leg would never be straight in a Sport Wushu (compulsory) type sense.

2 cents, "O"
http://taichi-ledyardct.webs.com/

"O" Some believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
Subitai

Re: grasp bird's tail

Postby Bob Ashmore » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Jack,
In Traditional Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan stance work the legs should be held "naturally straight"; both legs if in Preparation stance, the back leg if in bow or empty stances.
What this means is that the leg appears to be straight but is relaxed enough not to be stiff, with no feeling of the joints being "locked".
To feel how this works I have my students stand in Preparation Form, then I ask them to push downwards with both legs until they feel their knee, ankle and hip joints "lock", then to relax their legs only enough so that they feel their knee, ankle and hip joints "unlock".
This slight "bend" to the knees and ankles (and hips but you can't see those joints no matter what position they're in) isn't clearly visible, it appears to an untrained observer that the joints are straight however this loose, relaxed, natural straightness of the leg joints conveys a feeling of springy energy to the entire body.
If someone pushes or presses into you when your joints are "locked" out straight you will simply collapse, or maybe even fall over, as there is nowhere for the energy to go. If they press or push into you with your joints "naturally straight" you can easily bend the ankles and knees and roll the hip joints as much as necessary to allow your body to "coil" and store the energy they are giving you, then you can release it back into them or neutralize the energy to the ground, whatever the circumstance calls for. (First comply and bend, then engage and extend)
By the way, I also advise my students to search for this same feeling of "natural relaxation", or Sung, throughout their entire body. Doing so follows the same method as finding it in the legs. First extend your entire body as far as it will go until you feel all of your joints "lock", then slowly and without forcing anything allow your body to relax to the point where you feel each joint "unlock" itself into a naturally straight position.
Try it, it feels great.

I hope this helps.

Bob
Bob Ashmore

Return to Tai Chi Chuan - Barehand Form