HomeStudy MaterialEmpty Stance of Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan

Empty Stance of Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan

Included in Footwork is another stance called the Empty Stance, or Empty-Full Stance. The requirements for the Empty Stance are: The front foot points to the forward direction and the back foot points 45 degrees from the forward direction. This is a narrower stance than the Bow Stance with the feet on either side of the centerline. The centerline runs between the two heels following the forward direction of the front foot.

Do not cross the heels. See Figures 1 and 2. The weight is 30% on the front foot and 70% on the back foot. The kua needs to be rounded by keeping the knees open in the directions of the feet, 45% apart, and the hip dropping down by relaxing the waist. Do not allow the back knee to roll in. Weight should be centered over the Bubbling Well.
There are two kinds of Empty Stances. One touches the ground with the whole heel and the other touches with the ball of the foot.

In Hand Strums the Lute, for example, the heel touches the ground. As seen in Figure 3, after touching with the edge of the left heel the weight has moved forward 30% until the whole heel is rooting on the ground leaving the toes slightly lifted. Do not lock the front knee joint which would make the back of the knee feel tight. Keep the leg extended with springy energy, not stiff energy. Generally, when using the Empty Stance with the heel touching the body is open toward the back leg about 45 degrees.

In White Crane Spreads its Wings, for example, the ball of the foot touches the ground. As seen in Figure 4, after touching with the whole ball of the left foot the weight has moved forward 30% creating more support than touching with the toe only. The left knee is slightly bent, and the heel slightly off of the ground, allowing for the entire ball to touch the ground, not just the toe. Generally, when using the Empty Stance with the ball touching, the body is squared in the forward direction.

FAQ:
Q: Why do I have trouble feeling balanced when I am using an Empty Stance?
A: The reason you do not feel stable is because you put too much weight in the back leg, not allowing the front leg to lend support. Remember to move 30% of your weight forward while not leaning the upper body back.

Q: Why can’t I keep my knee in line with my toe direction?
A: Remember to relax your waist, dropping the tailbone down. This should allow the kua to open with the femur turning out 45 degrees. The knee will then be following the toe direction. If you do not follow this rule, you risk twisting and damaging your knee.