Helene Dobrowolsky

Associate Instructor

I began taking Taijiquan classes in 1989. For over 25 years, I have studied with our Chief Instructor Pam Boyde as well as various guest teachers. Since attending a 2003 seminar in Seattle with Grandmaster Yang Jun, my practice has focussed on Yang style taijiquan as transmitted by the Traditional Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan Association. This led to my helping to organize a Yang seminar in Whitehorse in 2004, more studies in Seattle – where I earned a Gold Eagle ranking in 2015, a trip to China, and attending International Tai Chi Symposiums in Nashville, Tennessee and Selvino, Italy. In 2020, I was certified as a trainer for three forms through the Yang Family Teacher Academy program.

I have been teaching since 1995. My classes have included various hand forms, sabre and, for ten years, I led a class for people with health issues, which included standing and seated qigong. 

My other passion is Yukon heritage and history. I work with First Nations, museums, interpretive centres, and governments to share the natural and cultural history stories of my beautiful and fascinating home. This work has included writing eight books of Yukon history. 

Taijiquan has given me balance in all areas of my life as well as access to a wonderful and inspiring community, both locally and internationally. Heartfelt thanks to all my teachers and mentors.

Email: midnight@northwestel.net